City of Ankeny introduces Alert Me Ankeny
The City of Ankeny introduced a new way to communicate with its residents today, a program called Alert Me Ankeny. This new text messaging service will notify residents when Emergency Snow Routes and All-City Snow Emergencies are in effect; it may also be used for emergency notices from the City.
Citizens can sign up for the program by texting the word ANKENY to 72466 or register online. Standard text and data rates may apply. Participants can opt out of the program anytime by texting STOP to 72466.
Alert Me Ankeny is an effort to help inform residents of snow emergencies and other emergent information about the City. Moving vehicles off of the streets in a timely manner will help the Public Works Department clear snow from city streets faster and more efficiently. Residents will also know to move their vehicles and avoid being ticketed or possibly even towed.
Ankeny residents are encouraged to keep these tips in mind when winter storms arrive:
- Do not park on streets with Emergency Snow Route signs when it snows. Vehicles must remain off of these streets for 24 hours after snow has stopped falling.
- If there is snow in the forecast, don’t park on the street. Move vehicles off the street before leaving the house for more than a day during the winter.
- When an All-City Emergency Snow Removal Operation is declared, parking is prohibited on ALL streets for 48 hours. Vehicles may be towed if they are not moved.
- As a property owner, it is your responsibility to clear snow from all sidewalks on or adjacent to your property within 24 hours after snow has stopped falling. Fines may be issued if violations occur.
- Do not allow children to play in snow drifts or snow piles along the street. This is very dangerous, especially when streets are being cleared by snowplows.
- Keep fire hydrants clear of snow and debris. Be mindful when shoveling or snow blowing to not cover any fire hydrant with snow.
In addition to Alert Me Ankeny, residents can also stay informed of snow emergencies through several other channels including:
- Winter Weather Hotline at (515) 963-3540
- Email notifications
- City of Ankeny on Facebook and Twitter
- Local news media
For more information about the Alert Me Ankeny text messaging program, contact Communications Manager Amy Baker at 515-965-6414.