Oralabor/Delaware Construction begins week of March 13
Construction will begin the week of March 13, 2017 on a joint project between the Iowa Department of Transportation (Iowa DOT) and the City of Ankeny to improve traffic capacity and mobility along SE Oralabor Road (also known as IA Hwy 160), SE Delaware Avenue and the Interstate 35 & SE Oralabor Road interchange ramps in Ankeny.
The proposed improvements include adding turn lanes, sidewalk improvements and traffic signal upgrades along:
- SE Oralabor Road between SE Peachtree Drive and SE Creekview Drive
- SE Delaware Avenue at SE Oralabor Road
- I-35 entrance and exit ramps at the SE Oralabor Road interchange
The proposed roadway improvements include the following:
- Two-way left turn lane (5 lane section) along SE Oralabor Road from east of SE Peachtree Road to west of SE Hulsizer Road
- SE Oralabor Road & SE Hulsizer Avenue intersection improvements:
- Left turn lanes for eastbound & westbound SE Oralabor Road
- Dedicated right turn lane for southbound SE Hulsizer Road
- SE Oralabor Road & SE Delaware Avenue intersection improvements:
- Dual left turn lanes at each approach
- Right turn lane for northbound SE Delaware Avenue
- Dual right turn lanes for westbound SE Oralabor Road
- SE Oralabor Road & Southbound I-35 Entrance and Exit Ramp Improvements:
- Dual lanes for southbound I-35 entrance ramp
- Dual right turn lanes for southbound I-35 exit ramp
- Left turn lane for westbound SE Oralabor Road
- SE Oralabor Road & Northbound I-35 Entrance and Exit Ramp Improvements:
- Left turn lane for eastbound SE Oralabor Road
- Dual left turn lanes for northbound I-35 exit ramp
- Dual right turn lanes for northbound I-35 exit ramp
- Right turn lane for westbound SE Oralabor Road
Construction for this project is expected to last from mid-March through November 2017. Due to the nature of the project, construction work will be intermittent throughout the entire corridor during that time. Construction impacting traffic lanes will occur overnight between 7 p.m. - 6 a.m., Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Construction not requiring lane closures will occur during daytime hours.
Construction is being administered by the Iowa DOT. View the most current Iowa DOT Press Release for the project. Periodic updates will be made through Iowa DOT’s 511 system. Periodic updates regarding adjacent City of Ankeny streets and other active construction projects throughout the City can be found here.
Drivers should expect delays and allow for extra time when traveling through the project corridor. Please drive with caution, obey the posted speed limit and other signs in the work area, and be aware that traffic fines for moving violations are at least double in work zones. As in all work zones, drivers should stay alert, allow ample space between vehicles and wear seat belts.
For construction related questions, contact Danielle Mulholland with the Iowa DOT at 515-986-2852 or firstname.lastname@example.org