Save Money on Your Water Bill with These Water Conservation Tips
Post Date:08/01/2017 3:34 PM
A dry hot summer lends itself to additional water usage to keep our plants and lawns alive. The City of Ankeny is pleased to offer these water conservation tips to help you save money on your water bill.
- Implement a designated day schedule for irrigation to help level the daily usage of water throughout the week.
- Water early in the morning (before 9 a.m.) or later in the evening (after 6 p.m.) when temperatures are cooler and evaporation is minimized.
- Don’t water when it is raining, hot or windy.
- Set it, but don’t forget it! Whether you have a manual or automatic system, be sure to adjust your watering schedules throughout the irrigation season.
- Inspect your overall irrigation system for leaks, broken lines or blockage in the lines.
- Add a shut-off nozzle to your garden hose and you will save about 5-7 gallons each minute your hose is on.
- Water deeply and well, rather than shallow and often. This encourages roots to grow downward where the soil stays moister longer.