Skip to page body Home About Ankeny Residents Visitors Business Government Economic Development I Want To...

The following is an explanation of the licenses and permits issued by the City Clerk's office and an abbreviated guide to the application process. For more information, contact the City Clerk's office at 515-965-6400 during regular business hours, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Mon -Fri.

Alcoholic Beer Permits/Liquor Licenses

The City Clerk's office processes all beer permits and liquor licenses in accordance with the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division's rules and regulations. All beer permits and liquor licenses must be approved by the City Council. If you have any questions regarding the various types of permits and licenses and the corresponding fees and restrictions, please call the City Clerk's office at 515-965-6400.

Auction Sales

To apply for an auction sale license, include a general description of the goods or property to be sold and the time and place at which the sale will be held when you submit your application. The fee is $5 per day for a daily license or $75 per year for an annual license.

Block Party Permits

Neighborhoods may apply for and hold block parties. The application form explains all the requirements. The City will place temporary barricades on each end of the block for use during the party time period to allow activities to take place on the pavement.  All home owners in the block must agree to the event and sign off on the form.

House Movers

To apply for a house-mover's license, submit a description of the present location and the future site of the building or structure to be moved. The routing plan must be approved by the Ankeny Chief of Police, and all other municipal code requirements must be met. The fee for a home-mover's license is $25 per day. Please contact the City Clerk's office at 515-965-6400 for additional information.


Any person who wishes to engage in the pawn business must obtain a pawnbrokers license. All applications will be forwarded to the Ankeny Chief of Police for review. The Chief of Police will file a report with the City Clerk within 30 days of receiving the application. The fee for a pawnbroker's license is $100 per year.

Pet Licenses

Pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats. The fee is $10.00 for each cat or dog. Add $1 per pet license if applying by mail. To purchase a pet license, simply bring a current rabies vaccination certificate for your cat or dog to City Hall, 410 West First Street. between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Licenses are also sold at the Parks and Recreation Office at 210 S. Ankeny Blvd. or, for your convenience, new this year is the sale of pet licenses and dog park passes at the Ankeny HyVee Customer Service Counter

The City of Ankeny allows any combination of cats and dogs up to four per household.

Solictors/Peddlers/Transcient Merchantes/Billpostering

Each individual who is conducting door-to-door residential sales, for immediate or future sales, or has a temporary sales locations, must obtain a license. A non-refundable $20 application fee is required. The licenses can be obtained for a period of one day up to one year. Rates vary based on the length of the license. Charitable and non-profit organizations are exempt from certain requirements of the Municipal Code. Hours of operation as stated below. Please contact the City Clerk's office for more information at 515-965-6400 during regular business hours.

Pursuant to Municipal Code Chapter 132.11, hours of solicitation in the City of Ankeny are from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday.  No soliciting on Sundays or National Holidays.


A license is required for each taxicab offered to the public for hire and used principally in intracity operation, but not such a vehicle that is operated principally and licensed by another municipality. The fee for a taxicab license is $50 per year for the first cab license and $10 per year for each additional cab licensed to the same licensee. Taxicab driver's licenses are $25 per year for each driver. A non-refundable $20 application fee is required.


Per the City Municipal Code a theater license is required for the operation of all public movie theaters. The fee for a theater license is $25 per year.

Tobacco/Cigarette Licenses

The City Clerk's Office issues cigarette licenses in accordance with State regulations and with City Council approval. The licenses run on a fiscal year basis (July 1 through June 30) and cost $100. Although licenses cannot be issued for more than one year, they can be issued for shorter periods of time and the cost may be pro-rated by quarter. Please call the City Clerk's office at 515-965-6400 for more information.

Please check our Municipal Code for more detailed information on all license and permit requirements.

Special Events

General Provisions

The City of Ankeny's Municipal Code requires completion of an approval process for such events as  farmers market, parades, antique auto shows, dance floors, solid waste disposal, street closings, etc. Please contact the City Clerk's office for further information related to special events at 515-965-6400 or

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download WinZip Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 11/3/2014 9:28:17 AM