Appointed by the City Council, the City Clerk attends all council meetings and is responsible for duties defined by the Code of Iowa and designated by the City Council.
The staff members in the City Clerk's office are responsible for maintaining all public records, which consists of storage, retention and scanning of official records. In addition to its overall mission of maintaining the official records of the City of Ankeny, the Office of the City Clerk performs the following duties:
- Prepares for and staffs all city council meetings, public hearings and council action planning sessions.
- Processes various types of municipal licenses and permits.
- Greets all city hall visitors and answers the main telephone console, providing accurate answers to questions and directing callers to appropriate departments.
- Processes and manages all records of appointments to various boards and commissions.
- Manages insurance on all city-owned vehicles, property and equipment.
- Processes risk management claims.
- Provides administrative services as recording secretary for the Polk County Aviation Authority.
- Provides administrative services to the Mayor and City Council.
- Maintains the City Municipal Code.
- Receives and processes requests for public records.