Building Permit Applications & Submittal Requirements
A permit is required for any construction that physically changes or adds structure to the property or for work regulated by city codes or ordinances. A list of building permit applications, submittal requirements and guidelines is available on our Building Permit Application page.
Cost of a Permit
- Iowa One Call
- Minimum Protection Elevation (PDF)
- National Flood Insurance Program Elevation Certificate
- US Department of Energy Building Code Program (REScheck, COMcheck & Energy Codes)
- Utility Service Applications
No construction is allowed until the permit is issued. Once the permit application and accompanying plans have been submitted, it will take the building staff about five working days to review residential applications and about 10 working days or more, depending on the project scope, to review commercial applications and to process the plans. Following approval of the plan and payment of fees, a permit will be issued.
The type and number of inspections depend on the project. 48 hours notice is required. Our Inspection line is (515) 963-3533.
Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria
- Ground Snow Load: 30 PSF
- Flat Roof Snow Load: 24 PSF
- Wind Speed: 90 MPH
- Seismic Design Category: A
- Frost Line Depth: 42 inches
Annually, the department holds a meeting to update contractors on upcoming code changes, changes to department policy and discussions on permitting, fees, inspections, construction and common field practices to code requirements.
- 2013 Contractor's Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- 2014 Contractor's Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- 2015 Contractor's Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- 2016 Contractor's Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
Cold Weather Concrete Policy
The Cold Weather Concrete Policy (PDF) reflects the standard of care required to place and cure concrete, masonry mortar, and grout when the temperature drops below code and standard practice temperatures as identified in the adopted building code and referenced guidelines.
- National Weather Service Forecast Office Point Forecast: Ankeny IA