Ankeny Comprehensive Plan 2040
Due to Record breaking growth and development in recent years, the time has come to update our long-range vision for the community. Learn more by visiting www.ankenyplan2040.com.
Ankeny Comprehensive Plan 2010
Ankeny Plan Document Adopted September 2010 by Resolution 2010-247 (PDF)
Amendment #1 Resolution 2011-201 (PDF) Exhibit (PDF)
Amendment #2 Resolution 2011-358 (PDF) Exhibit (PDF)
Amendment #3 Resolution 2014-097 (PDF) Exhibit (PDF)
Amendment #4 Resolution 2016-200 (PDF) Exhibit (PDF)
Amendment #5 Resolution 2017-092 (PDF) Exhibit (PDF)
Acknowledgements, Introduction and Table of Contents (PDF)
The Ankeny Plan contains several components which will guide growth and development in the City over the next twenty years. Each component acknowledges the need to accommodate new development, while creating an attractive living environment for residents and retaining Ankeny's unique features.
In general, the Plan evaluates the existing conditions of the City and proposes actions to be taken over the next twenty years. Specific components of the Plan include:
- Demographic Update (PDF): summarizes important demographic trends (historical and projected) that will have a major impact on Ankeny as it plans for its future.
- Existing Land Use & Projected Growth (PDF): examines the land use characteristics and trends affecting the growth in Ankeny. The section considers existing land use characteristics and projects the amount of land needed to accommodate the City's projected 2035 population of 93,000.
- Community Vision, Goals and Principles (PDF): summarizes the key goals and policies from the 2008/2013/2022 Strategic Plan and the 2004 Ankeny Comprehensive Plan.
- Environmental & Stormwater Considerations (PDF): highlights the need to protect and enhance the significant stream corridors called "bluebelts" in developing areas of Ankeny. The chapter recommends directing development to areas suitable for growth, maintaining natural features and ecological functions, and protecting water quality.
- Future Land Use (PDF): identifies areas for future growth in the City, taking into account the surrounding land use and the existing demand. The chapter also establishes development policies that will guide the City's future land use decisions.
- Parks & Trails (PDF): recognizes that active use of outdoor recreational facilities is essential to maintaining Ankeny's quality of life. Residents enjoy access to good city and regional parks. Continued provision of excellent City parks and expansion of the trails systems are important to the City's future.
- Transporation (PDF): examines Ankeny's existing transportation network and presents strategies for providing strong transportation systems so as to continue to provide good circulation around and through town, as well as accommodate regional traffic.
- Infrastructure: discusses how the City's water and sanitary sewer systems can be maintained to high standards and how they can be updated to accommodate projected growth.
- Public Facilities (PDF): inventories existing public facilities and highlights the need for new facilites, or renovation and/or expansion of existing sites to serve new and changing public service demands.
- A Diverse & Balanced Economy (PDF): presents an overview of the economic development program for Ankeny with a focus on the influence of the physical development of the community. The goals in this area are built upon smart planning principles to utilize the community's resources to develop a diverse and sustainable economy within the City. There is also consideration given to Ankeny's role as a major contributor to the metropolitan Des Moines economy.
- Implementation (PDF): addresses the scheduling of plan implementation by both public agencies and private decision-makers to implement the visions and actions presented by the Plan through a realistic program that is in step with the resources of the community.