Utility Billing is a function of the Finance Department while working closely with the Public Works Department - Utilities Division. We provide billing, payment processing, collection and customer service for the following:
- Curbside Recycling
- Stormwater Management
Utility Billing accepts applications for new service, processes customer requests to disconnect and/or transfer existing service, collects monthly water meter readings, and provides accurate billing statements for customers. We strive to provide outstanding customer service in a professional and courteous manner whether it be by phone or in person.
Utility Service Applications
All new water accounts are required to fill out a water application. Please select the appropriate application and return it to Utility Billing within 7 days of starting service. Please note that you must also call Customer Service to start up utility services with the City of Ankeny.
You can choose any of the following ways to pay your monthly water bill:
- Pay by Mail - Payments can be mailed to City of Ankeny, 220 West 1st Street, Ankeny, Iowa 50023
- Pay in Person - Payments can be brought in during normal business hours to the Public Services Building.
- After Hours Drop Box - Payments can be placed in the white drop box labeled Utility Billing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The drop box is located outside of the Public Services Building.
- Pay Online - Payments by credit/debit cards or E-check can be made online through our website.
- AutoPay - The City can debit your checking account, savings account, or credit card automatically every month. This is a convenient and easy automatic payment service that ensures your water bill is paid in a timely and efficient manner. If you wish to be an auto pay customer, you will need to sign an authorization form with the City of Ankeny.
- Call Us - The City accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit/debit card payments over the phone. Call (515) 963-3565 during business hours.
- Pay Stations - You can pay your City of Ankeny Water Bill at both Ankeny Hy-Vee locations. Please allow 7- 10 days for your payment to be received and posted. Pay station payments not received at the City of Ankeny office by the date specified on your statement may be assessed a delayed payment fee.
A Customer Service Representative can be reached by:
- Calling (515) 963-3565 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- E-mail - Please include your name, address, phone number, and all pertinent information regarding the reason you are contacting us.
- Visiting our office at: 220 W 1st ST, Ankeny, Iowa 50023 anytime between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please contact us for assistant with the following:
- Finalizing water service when moving out of your home or business
- Setting up water service when moving into a new home or business
- Arranging for "Snow Bird" status when vacationing over the winter months
- You have a question on your water bill
- You have a question about water quality
- Your meter is leaking or making excessive noise.
- Possible water main break. Examples include excessive water running down the curb of a street, water bubbling up in the right-of-way between the curb and sidewalk, or water bubbling up through cracks in the street or sidewalk.
- Accidental dig-in on water main or water service line.
- You observe a hydrant leaking, laying on its side, or other noticeable damage.
- You notice someone tampering with a hydrant.
- Sewage is backing-up into the lowest level of your home.
- You observe a manhole that has water coming out of it.