When snow or ice begins, all vehicles must be removed from Emergency Snow Routes (PDF) for 24 hours after snow has stopped falling.
When snow accumulations of over 4 inches occur, an All-City Emergency Snow Removal Operation will be declared in the City of Ankeny.
When a All-City Emergency Snow Removal Operation is declared, all vehicles are required to find parking off city streets in order to allow snow removal crews the opportunity to safely and efficiently clear the roads.
Failure to move your vehicle could result in a $40 ticket or potentially having your vehicle towed.
Chapter 69, Section 14 of the City's Municipal Code details the specifics of the City's Snow Emergency ordinance.
For additional information regarding the City's snow removal operations, visit Departments > Public Works > Operations Division > Winter Maintenance and Snow Removal Operations.
Avoid Being Ticketed or Towed
Prevent the inconvenience of having your vehicle ticketed or towed during a Snow Emergency by staying informed.
- New! Text ANKENY to 72466 to receive to receive text alerts on your mobile phone or sign up online.*
- Receive e-mail updates when a Snow Emergency has been declared by signing up for Email Notification through the City's web site. Select "Snow/Emergency Notifications under the News category.
- Visit the City's web site for news related to all Snow Emergency notifications. In addition to press releases, a red Emergency Notification bar will appear across the top of all pages on the site.
- Call our Snow Hotline at (515) 963-3540.
- Follow the City of Ankeny on Facebook or Twitter.
- Tune in to local television or radio stations.
If you know someone who does not have access to these communications channels, please reach out to them directly to make sure they are informed. Word of mouth is still the most powerful communication tool available!
If you know you have limited access to off-street parking, here are some parking options:
If walking from your off-street parking location is too far, make arrangements with a friend or family member to give you a ride home.
When a Snow Emergency is in effect, it is important for all vehicles to be removed from the street - not only so snow removal crews can safely and efficiently do their jobs, but so that emergency personnel can access streets in large service vehicles that would otherwise be narrowed due to excessive amounts of snow.
With a little extra planning during a snow event, you'll be helping to keep Ankeny roads safer for all residents!
*Message and data rates may apply. You may receive periodic messages. Text HELP to 72466 for help, text STOP to 72466 to quit messages. We will never share, sell or otherwise distribute your mobile information. Terms and conditions: click here.