Ankeny has subscription garbage collection in which each resident contracts individually with a garbage hauler. The following companies provide residential services in Ankeny:
Residential Garbage Haulers:
- Ankeny Sanitation, (515) 964-5229
- Aspen Waste Systems, Inc., (515) 974-1600
- Waste Connections of Iowa, Inc., (515) 265-7374
- Waste Management of Iowa, (515) 265-5267
Residents should contact the above companies for information on:
- Garbage collection rates
- Pickup days and times
- Large item (furniture, appliances, etc.) pickup procedures and fees
- Yard waste collection and fees
- Special pickup for elderly or disabled residents
Residents can sign-up to receive E-mails on recycling and garbage collection delays at www.mwatoday.com.
Metro Waste Authority's Curb It! program provides each residential household in MWA's service area a 96-gallon cart with automated collection with every other week pickup. For those who generate less trash, 48-gallon carts are available. Requests for the smaller carts can be made by calling 24-GREEN. An exchange fee may apply. Check the lid on your cart for the pickup schedule in your area, and be sure to set your cart out by 7 a.m.
For more information about the Curb It! program, please call Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021.
- Plastic containers - "necked" containers and yogurt/margarine tubs
- Newspapers - including inserts
- Mixed paper
- Cardboard - must be broken down and cut to fit into cart
- Shredded paper - can be recycled in your new cart but it needs to be contained in a paper product such as a cereal or cardboard box, or a paper sack
- Tin & aluminum cans
- Paper Food Cartons: milk (including soy) chocolate and cream, juice, protein drinks, wine, egg substitutes, soup and broth
Items NOT Accepted
- Garbage or yard debris
- Food-contaminated material (e.g., frozen dinner containers)
- Plastic bags or containers with motor oil or other hazardous materials
Curb It! is an automated collection program designed to make it easier for you to recycle. When participating in automated collection programs there are a few cart placement guidelines to follow. Your help is appreciated in making it easier for carts to be collected.
- Your cart should be within 18 inches of the curb with the short metal bar facing the street.
- To avoid damage to public and private property, place the cart at least three feet away from mailboxes, lamp posts and other permanent structures.
- Place your cart on as level of a surface as possible but away from low-hanging tree branches.
- Yard waste bags, garbage carts, Curb It! carts and other large items should be spaced three feet apart.
- Close lids prior to pick-up – lids must be closed on your Curb It! carts in order for the recyclables to be collected.
Large Scale Recycling Centers
- R/CK & B Redemption Center
1014 SE Lorenz Drive, Ankeny
Bottle and can redemption only
- Metro Waste's Recycling Center
1105 Prairie Drive SW, Bondurant,