- Our City
- Fire Department
- Fire Prevention
- Pluggies' Partners
Adopt A Fire Hydrant In Your Neighborhood
The Pluggies Partners Program is designed to actively involve your child in helping firefighters, your neighbors, and your community.
By "adopting" a fire hydrant and agreeing to help care for it during the winter months, you will help save the Fire Department precious minutes during a fire.
The program is intended to keep the child's interest throughout the winter months and your child's efforts will be rewarded in the spring with a certificate and a picnic at the Ankeny Fire Department.
For questions, email the Ankeny Fire Department or call 515-965-6469.
Safety Tips & Guidelines
- Each child should be responsible for one hydrant.
- To the best of their ability, the child should clear (generally with direct parent participation) approximately a 3 to 4 foot circle around the hydrant. This should only be done on quiet, residential streets; it should be done with parental supervision.
- Report the following to the Fire Department's non-emergency number at 515-965-6469
- Caps missing or broken
- Water leaking from your hydrant
- Hydrants will be monitored to be sure your child is a good caretaker.
- Do not step into the road while clearing a hydrant; have an adult help you if the plow piles are too high.
- If the hydrant you are adopting is across the street, an adult should accompany the child for safety reasons.
- If the hydrant is not on your property, be sure to ask your neighbor's permission first!
- Never step onto the street while shoveling the hydrant.
- Wear bright clothes so vehicles can see you!