The City of Ankeny is excited to welcome RAGBRAI participants to our community on July 26, 2023. Ankeny will serve as a meet up town as bicyclists and their support teams ride from Ames to Des Moines on Day 4 of RAGBRAI.
The official route will begin on the northwest side of the city on NW Irvinedale Drive. The streets on the route will close as early as 7:30 a.m. until around 5 p.m. The route includes stops for the Bicycle Bash in Uptown and the District at Prairie Trail. Riders will leave Ankeny via South Ankeny Boulevard/Highway 69. View the map. Turn by turn directions:
- NW 118th Street to NW Irvinedale Drive
- Turn right on NW Irvinedale Drive to NW 18th Street
- Turn left on NW 18th Street to NW State Street
- Turn right on NW State Street to NW Prairie Ridge Drive
- Turn left on NW Prairie Ridge Drive to NW Ash Drive
- Turn right on NW Ash Drive, which becomes SW Cherry Street to SW Magazine Road
- Turn right on SW Magazine Road to SW District Drive
- Turn left on SW District Drive to SW Prairie Trail Pkwy.
- Turn left on SW Prairie Trail Pkwy to S. Ankeny BLVD
- Turn right on S. Ankeny Boulevard to travel to Des Moines
Residents who are directly impacted by the route have been notified by mail. City staff and RAGBRAI organizers have worked diligently to minimize disruptions and provide appropriate safety and support during the event. A plan is in place for emergency services to remain accessible throughout the day to the entire city.
The City encourages all residents to plan ahead and allow extra time for daily activities on July 26. It may be beneficial to make any necessary arrangements such as scheduling appointments, deliveries, or other time-sensitive tasks before or after the event to minimize inconvenience. If you are required to travel that day, please exercise patience and caution when navigating the area during the event. Expect traffic delays, increased pedestrian activity, road closures and bicyclists in the area.
Ankeny is hosting a Bicycle Bash in Uptown and The District at Prairie Trail. Both areas are a perfect spot for breakfast or lunch offering local favorites and a variety of food trucks, cold drinks and lots of shade. Retailers will also be open for anyone wanting to shop. The District will feature live music from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Uptown will have a DJ. The John Deere Busch Light combine will be located in Uptown and will be a great spot for photos. Look for a live art exhibit and more at these fun events. Residents are welcome to attend.
The Ankeny RAGBRAI planning committee includes the City of Ankeny, Uptown Association, The District at Prairie Trail and Ankeny Chamber of Commerce. Learn more about RAGBRAI in Ankeny.