Starting today, July 10, 2023, utility-terrain vehicles (UTVs) are allowed to operate on Ankeny city streets. The new ordinance comes with specific requirements and exceptions designed to ensure the safety and compliance of UTV operation within the community. UTV owners are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these rules and restrictions prior to operating a UTV in Ankeny. This ordinance only allows UTVs to be operated on City streets. ATV’s, go-carts, dune buggies, mini trucks, and golf carts are NOT allowed on any City streets, trails or sidewalks.
This ordinance will expire in July 2025, at which time the Ankeny City Council will evaluate and reconsider extending the ordinance. The ordinance and full list of regulations can be found online at www.ankenyiowa.gov/utv.
Notable rules include:
- Drivers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license. They must carry valid proof of insurance and proof of ownership.
- UTVs may only be operated on paved streets with a speed limit of 35 MPH or less. UTVs are not allowed on state highways or interstates, this includes Ankeny Boulevard and Oralabor Road.
- UTV operators are expected to comply with all traffic laws. Drivers shall not operate UTVs while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and no open containers of alcohol are allowed in the UTV while it is being operated.
- The UTV must be registered with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Registration should be displayed and provided to any peace officer upon request.
- Seat belts must be worn by all passengers while the UTV is in motion. Children under one year old and weighing less than 20 pounds must be secured in a rear-facing child safety seat and children ages one to six years must be secured in a child safety seat or booster seat.
- UTVs are not allowed on City park and bike trails, sidewalks, in wildlife areas, streams, waterways, ditches or on frozen ice.
- DOT-approved tires are mandatory. Off-road-only tires, metal studded tires and tire chains are prohibited.
- UTVs must have a seat that is either bucket or bench design.
- Operational turn signals, brakes, speedometer, odometer, horn, headlamps, tail lamps, stop lamps, rear-facing mirror, and a rollover protection structure are required.
- The engine noise emitted by the UTV's muffler must remain below 86 decibels at a distance of 50 feet.
- UTVs may cross streets with speed limits above 35 (except interstates) but must do so at approximately 90 degrees.
- Primary road extensions are not permitted for UTV parking.
These measures have been implemented to ensure the safety of both UTV operators and the general public. For more information about the new UTV ordinance and its requirements, please visit www.ankenyiowa.gov/utv.