The construction boom in Ankeny continued in 2021, making it another record year for the City. The City of Ankeny permitted a record amount of new investment valued at nearly $500 million in both commercial and residential construction. This is the third consecutive year that Ankeny permitted more than $400 million in construction projects. Over the past eight years, the City of Ankeny has permitted more than $3 billion worth of projects.
Highlights of 2021’s construction includes:
- 2021 was a record year with more than $498.7 million total investment in new construction projects. Previous high was in 2020 with a total of $423 million.
- Permits were issued for 28 new commercial buildings, with $222 million in total non-residential investment.
- Permitted over 1 million square feet of new commercial/industrial space in 2021.
- $267 million permitted in total new residential investment, resulting in 1,175 total new residential units including:
- 653 single family detached homes
- 258 townhomes
- 264 multi-family units
- Approximately $9.3 million in other additions, alterations and miscellaneous permits issued.
“Even with supply chain issues, higher building material costs, labor availability challenges and related cost pressures, and pandemic setbacks, Ankeny set yet another record in terms of total construction-related activity and commercial construction,” said City Manager David Jones. “We saw diverse development with strong single-family housing and commercial construction numbers. The development community continues to have confidence in Ankeny. We anticipate strong demand for significant continued investment across all sectors in the near term.”
Ankeny saw a mix of businesses and homeowners relocating, expanding and remodeling. The City issued 3,145 total permits for the year. Notable construction projects permitted in 2021 include: Perishable Distributors of Iowa expansion, Amazon delivery center, Echo Electric, Peterbilt sales and service center, Pet Parents headquarters, Brown National Leasing and various other commercial and industrial buildings. In addition, several service-oriented businesses expanded and opened throughout Ankeny.