Anti-Icing / De-Icing Operations
Public Works crews strategically apply salt brine or calcium chloride to arterial and major collector streets approximately 24 hours prior to the beginning of a snowfall event to prevent the formation or development of bonded snow and ice on the roadway. Arterial and major collector streets, industrial roads, and residential intersections are treated with a salt mixture for ice control and snow accumulations of one inch or less.
Things to Know About Ankeny Snow Removal Operations
- When snow accumulation occurs, plow trucks will make multiple passes to fully clear all streets. (We appreciate your patience.)
- Plow trucks are also used to apply salt (you may see a plow truck with its wings and plow up).
- Snow removal for cul-de-sacs:
- Plow trucks will initially clear a path around the outside of the cul-de-sac.
- Depending on the amount of accumulation, another truck or an end loader may arrive later to complete snow removal in the bulb of the cul-de-sac.
- In the event of lighter snowfall, the center of the cul-de-sac may not be cleared.
- When cul-de-sacs are cleared, the snow may be pushed up and over the sidewalk. (If this is necessary, the property owner is not expected to clear this piled snow off the sidewalk.)
- As the Public Works Department clears all city streets, residential neighborhoods, and business districts, Parks Maintenance removes snow from public parking lots, sidewalks, and trails.
All vehicles must be moved off of all public streets, alleys, and on-street parking within the City when a snow ordinance is declared. No parking is allowed until the snow ordinance is officially lifted by the City. Parking in The District at Prairie Trail and Uptown business district is prohibited from 2 - 6 a.m. during snow ordinances. Vehicles parked on the street during a snow ordinance will be ticketed $40 and may be towed.
The City can declare a snow ordinance based on several factors including snow, sleet, freezing rain, and blowing snow. Learn more about how you can be notified when a snow ordinance is in effect by seeing the Snow and Ice Removal Page.