Vehicle burglary prevention tips from the Ankeny Police Department
Don’t let the Grinch ruin your holidays. Thieves like to take advantage of busy people during the holidays by breaking into vehicles. The Ankeny Police Department recommends taking the following steps to protect your property and prevent vehicle burglaries:
- Do not leave valuable items visible in your vehicle.
- Close all windows, take your keys and lock all doors.
- Park in well-lit, heavily populated areas.
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, find another place to park.
- Avoid parking next to occupied vehicles.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not leave garage door openers in parked vehicles.
- Don’t think your dark tinted windows will hide your valuables. Thieves often use flashlights to see through tint.
- If you are parking your vehicle for several days check on it periodically.
- Never leave a firearm in a vehicle that is unattended.
- If you see something suspicious, contact the Ankeny Police Department at 515-286-3333, option 5.
Happy Holidays from all of the officers and staff at the Ankeny Police Department!