City of Ankeny reopening update
As the situation with COVID-19 continues to evolve, it is difficult for the City to set hard deadlines for returning all of its operations to normal. Following guidelines set by the CDC and the Iowa Department of Public Health, the plan is being implemented to reopen facilities and restart some of the activities and programs.
Beginning, June 1, 2020, the following changes are in effect provided social distancing requirements and other CDC guidelines are followed. All facilities and amenities are for use at your own risk.
Parks and facilities
- All Ankeny playgrounds will reopen. Residents can use at their own risk as playground equipment is not sanitized.
- Water fountains will be turned on
- Modern restrooms will be open
- Kybos will be installed by Wednesday
- Ankeny Market & Pavilion, Lakeside Center, Outdoor Education Center and all shelter houses will reopen and be available for rent with restrictions. Call Parks & Recreation to schedule or visit www.ankenyiowa.gov/register.
- The Skate Park will reopen.
- The batting cages at Prairie Ridge Sports Complex are open.
- Tennis, pickleball, volleyball and basketball courts are open.
- Otter Creek Golf Course is open with restrictions. The Tin Cup Bar & Grill and Pro Shop remain closed.
- Splash pads will remain closed per the Governor’s proclamation.
- An update regarding aquatic centers will be shared next week.
- Curbside service is currently available to library patrons.
- The library is working toward opening to the public with restrictions sometime in June. A specific reopening date will be announced when it is determined.
- The library will open with a limited capacity and normal hours will resume.
- Room rentals and all in-house programming remain canceled until further notice.
- The Summer Reading program will be virtual this year and additional programs will be offered online.
- Curbside service will be discontinued when the library reopens.
- Tree and Branch Recycling will be held June 27, from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., and June 28, noon - 4 p.m., at the Ankeny Maintenance Facility, 211 SE Lorenz Drive.
- The Public Works Department is in the process of scheduling a new date for Ankeny Cleanup Days to be held this summer. More details will be released when they are available.
- The City Clerk’s Office will begin issuing peddler, solicitor and transient merchant permits on June 1 per the Governor’s proclamation. All peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants are required to wear a City of Ankeny badge while knocking on doors. Visit www.ankenyiowa.gov for a list of licensed vendors.
- The Ankeny Parks & Recreation Department is working towards offering a modified program schedule for summer and fall. Once we believe we have done all we can to make a program safe, then we will offer it so residents can decide for themselves when they feel it is appropriate to enjoy them. Watch for program updates in June.
- All other city buildings will remain closed to the public until further notice. Residents, contractors and others are encouraged to do business directly with staff via phone, email, the website or by appointment.
While visiting any public space, use your best judgment and act responsibly; bring your own sanitation supplies with you and adhere to recommended guidelines of social distancing. If you do not feel well or have been sick, stay home.
The City of Ankeny appreciates the public’s understanding to this rapidly changing environment. Visit www.ankenyiowa.gov/COVID19 for additional information regarding changes to City business during the COVID-19 pandemic.