Update: Construction work on the new library is nearly complete, however the inside finishing work is tracking slower than we anticipated. At this time, we do not have an official opening date but we are expecting to open the new building in early 2020. We know you are excited to start using this new facility and we are too! It is an amazing place and we can't wait to share it with you. As soon as we have a firm open date from our construction company we will share that with the community. Stay connected via this webpage and the library Facebook page, for the latest information and updates.
Construction of the new 55,000 sq. ft., two-story Ankeny Kirkendall Public Library is underway! If you drive past the worksite, located at 1250 SW District Drive, you'll see that the site is bustling with activity, construction crews and equipment.
The new Ankeny Kirkendall Public Library is expected to open early 2020:
• New large facility more than double the size of the current library — 55,000 square feet!
• 14 study/conference rooms.
• Drive-up book drop.
• Automated materials handler to process returned items quickly and return to the shelves.
• Children’s and teen program rooms.
• Lots of areas for individual and small group seating.
• Large meeting room with seating availability for 300 people and ability to be divided into three separate rooms.
• Variety of meeting spaces available to the public for rent.
Check out this time lapse video of construction so far!