The mission of the Planning & Building Department is to ensure that Ankeny is recognized as a safe and sustainable community. This ongoing effort is accomplished by managing city development in accordance with the Municipal Code, the Ankeny Comprehensive Plan, Plan and Zoning Commission recommendations and City Council policy; and by enforcing adopted construction, zoning, subdivision, housing and nuisance codes and ordinances.
The Department is committed to providing Ankeny's elected and appointed officials, citizens, businesses and the development community with the information and the professional expertise to support decisions, enhance the understanding of the development process and continue the high quality of built projects within the City of Ankeny.
- The Big Picture Report outlines the role of the Planning and Building Department in the growth of Ankeny in terms of annexations, final plats, permits issued, development applications and other department activity. It includes ten years of data for calendar years 2008 to 2017.
- Building Permit Reports
- Plan and Zoning Commission 2017 Annual Report
Planning and Building Duties
- Reviewing and approving development plans and building permits.
- Managing planning projects.
- Enforcing building, zoning, subdivision, housing and nuisance codes, and ordinances.
- Managing city development in accordance with the Municipal Code and the Ankeny Comprehensive Plan.
- Supporting the Plan & Zoning Commission, the Zoning Board of Adjustment, and the Board of Examiner's and Appeals.