State of Iowa Requirements
- Statewide Electrical license application and application instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Public Safety's website https://iowaelectrical.gov/ or by calling 1-866-923-1082.
- Statewide Mechanical and Plumbing license application and application instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Public Health's website www.idps.state.ia.us or by calling 1-866-280-1521.
- All contractors performing construction work must be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor. Information is available online at www.iowaworkforce.org/labor/contractor.htm.
Permit Applications & Guidelines
- Electrical permit application
- Electrical Panel/Service update/upgrade/change-out
- Mechanical permit application
- Plumbing permit application
Without the appropriate licensing as issued by the State of Iowa, electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors will not be allowed to secure permits or work within the City of Ankeny.
Ankeny has adopted the 2015 International Building, Mechanical, Property Maintenance & Housing Code, Plumbing, Fire and Fuel Gas Codes and the 2017 NEC with amendments.
**NOTE - The City of Ankeny has adopted new codes effective March 1, 2020. Please click here Building Codes to access the new adopted ordinance.**
Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing permit applications can be submitted via the City of Ankeny Permit Web Portal at the following link: https://ankenyonestop.ankenyiowa.gov
Once on the site click on "Register" located in the upper right hand corner of the web page and follow the directions. For contractors already registered with the City of Ankeny please contact us for a "registration code" to expedite the process.
For a limited time Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing permit applications may continue to be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please call the inspection line at (515) 963-3533 to schedule inspections. Inspections require a minimum 24 hour notice.