Chapter 177 of the Municipal Code, the Property Maintenance and Housing Code, outlines the requirements for the City of Ankeny rental housing registration and inspection program.
This important program is designed to ensure that rental housing meets certain minimum standards. It applies to all structures located within the City.
All rental units are required to be registered and inspected by a housing inspector approved by City Council, on a regular basis to ensure compliance with this Code.
Regular inspections of rental dwelling units are required:
- Every three (3) years for multiple-family units - Effective July 1, 2018 every (3) years
- Every five (5) years for unattached single-family units - Effective July 1, 2018 every (3) years
- Every five (5) years for duplexes - Effective July 1, 2018 every (3) years
Rental Housing Forms
- Rental Housing Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Multi-family Residential Life-Safety System Requirements (PDF)
- Rental Housing Registration Form (PDF) Effective July 1, 2018
Changes in Ownership or Status
Changes in ownership or rental status are to be reported to:
220 W. First St.
Ankeny, IA 50023
Changes can also be reported by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org