The City of Ankeny offers multiple volunteer opportunities to get involved in the community.
Become an Angel in the Outfield, Miracle League Volunteers Needed
- Angels/volunteers are partnered with players to assist them in the games.
- Angels must be at least 14 years old.
- School sports teams, cheer/dance squads, youth groups and company/organization groups are encouraged to volunteer as a team.
Learn more about the Ankeny Kiwanis Miracle League or sign up to volunteer now! Questions? Contact Ryan Harkema at 515-963-3571 or email@example.com.
Volunteer at the Library
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age or in 6th grade or above.
- Opportunities range from assisting at events to re-shelving books.
- Each volunteer meets with the Volunteer Coordinator to develop an individualized schedule.
Help Make Ankeny beautiful! Every year, asks for volunteers to help maintain flower gardens at many of the city’s parks and public buildings. This is a great volunteer opportunity to help beautify our community with minimal time commitment.
- Volunteers will select the plants and flowers that will go in their assigned flowerbed, plant flowers and keep flowerbeds weed free.
- Ankeny Parks & Recreation will prepare the flowerbeds, provide plant and bed materials and water the flowers.
- Volunteers will receive recognition with their name on a small sign in their flowerbed.
If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information about the Adopt A Flowerbed program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-963-3579.
Annual Earth Day Stream and Watershed Cleanup
Public Works Stormwater Division brings the community together for a Stream and Watershed Cleanup each year on Earth Day. View the city calendar or contact Amy Bryant at 515-963-3542 or email@example.com for more information, to volunteer or to host your own cleanup throughout the year.
Ankeny Water Quality Improvement and Stormwater Education Group (WISE)
The Ankeny Water Quality Improvement and Stormwater Education Group (WISE) is looking for volunteer members. The Ankeny WISE group:
- Evaluates best management practices for safe and efficient control of stormwater.
- Increases public awareness of these practices and encourage both personal and community actions that will best protect our health, property and natural environment.
Contact Amy Bryant at 515-963-3542 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer.
Coaching a youth sport is a great way to spend quality time with your child and give back to the community. No coaching experience is necessary. We will give you all of the tools to be a successful coach!
If you have interest in coaching any of the following activities, please contact us today at 515-965-3570.
- Youth Soccer
1st-7th grade, September - October
- Youth Volleyball
5th-7th grade, September - October
- Youth Basketball
2nd-7th grade, November - February
Benefits of Coaching:
- If your child is participating in the program you are coaching, you can choose the night they would like to practice!
- Volunteer coaches also receive a 50%-off registration credit that can be used toward any future Parks and Recreation program!
The City of Ankeny hosts several special events throughout the year. If you're interested in volunteering, contact Whitney Garcia at email@example.com or 515-963-3573.
- Senior Meals: Tuesdays, Monthly
The second Tuesday of each month, Ankeny Parks & Recreation caters a lunch for Ankeny citizens 60 years and older. Meals are held at the Lakeside Center and start at noon. Help is needed to serve meals, clean up and call bingo after the lunch.
- Live Healthy Iowa Kids Track & Field Meet: May
This track & field meet is open to kids 7-14 years old. Help is needed timing races, recording heat times and helping with various field events.
- Mayor's Bike Ride: Saturday in May
Join Ankeny Mayor Gary Lorenz as he leads the way for a morning trail ride through the community. Help is needed along the route and handing out refreshments.
- All City Play Day: Wednesday in July
All City Play Day offers dozens of FREE events for Ankeny citizens each summer at Hawkeye Park. Events include canoeing, giant bubbles, basketball, big wheel races, rock climbing wall, and tons more. Help is needed with various activity stations throughout the event.
- Ankeny Youth Triathlon: Saturday in July
Participants swim, bike and run in the Annual Ankeny Youth Triathlon. Swimming laps in the Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center, biking around the Sports Complex and running through the finish line at the Prairie Ridge Middle School Track. Help is needed along the route, at the recovery tent and other areas throughout the race.
- Creepy Capers Halloween Party: October
Help is needed with various carnival games, handing out candy, event check-in and more.
- Mayor's Tree Lighting & Fireworks: Late November/early December