When it begins to snow, please remove all vehicles from the street. If snow is predicted to occur during evening hours, it would be wise to move your car off the street.
All vehicles must be moved off of any public streets, roads, and alleys within the city when a snow ordinance is declared. Parking in The District at Prairie Trail and Uptown business district is banned from 2 - 6 a.m. during snow ordinances. Vehicles parked on the street during a snow ordinance will be ticketed $40 and may be towed. The City can declare a snow ordinance based on several factors including snow, sleet, freezing rain, and blowing snow. Learn more about how you can be notified when a snow ordinance is in effect on the Snow and Ice Removal page.
The Division of Public Works and the Ankeny Police Department will coordinate the towing operation. If your car is towed, you may call the Police Department at 515-289-5240 to locate your vehicle.
- Keep small children inside when snow removal equipment is in your neighborhood.
- Trim low-hanging branches above the street to prevent damage by snowplow trucks.
- Shovel the snow around the fire hydrant near your home for public safety.
- Shovel the snow around the catch basins in the street, so melting snow can drain away.
- Please do not plow or shovel snow into or across the street. It is against the City's Code of Ordinances to do so, and if the snow removal equipment doesn't get a chance to come back and remove it, the snow will most likely freeze and cause ice ruts. This could be hazardous for motorists and pedestrians.
- Do not pass a plow or sander and do not follow them closer than 50 feet.
- Please let us know of any treacherous conditions or problems encountered on the city streets.
- Please be patient. All the streets will be cleared and the problems will be responded to as quickly as possible.