UTVs (Utility-Terrain Vehicles)
ATV’s, go-carts, dune buggies, mini trucks, and golf carts are NOT allowed on any City streets, trails or sidewalks.
In July of 2023, City Council passed ordinance number 2146 which authorizes Utility-Terrain Vehicles (UTVs) to be operated on the streets of Ankeny with the following exceptions and requirements. The ordinance is in effect as of July 10, 2023. This ordinance will expire in July 2025 at which time the Ankeny City Council will evaluate and reconsider extending the ordinance. This ordinance only allows UTVs to be operated on City streets and does not apply to golf carts, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or snowmobiles.
- The UTV must have at least 4 and not more than 8 wheels. Tracks of any kind are not allowed.
- Must be equipped with DOT-approved tires. Off-road-only tires are illegal.
- Metal studded tires and/or tires chains are not allowed on or alongside any city street.
- UTV Types allowed:
- Type A: Dry weight must be below 1200 pounds or less width of 50 inches or less.
- Type B: Dryweight 2000 pounds or less and a width of 65 inches or less.
- Type 3: Dry weight more than 2000 pounds or a width of more than 65 inches or both.
- Must have a seat that is bucket or bench design.
- Seat belts must be worn by all passengers while the UTV is in motion. Children under one year old and weighing less than 20 pounds must be secured in a rear-facing child safety seat and children ages one to six years must be secured in a child safety seat or booster seat.
- Must be equipped with operational turn signals.
- Must have operational brakes to stop and hold the UTV in a stopped position.
- Must have a functional speedometer and odometer calibrated in miles per hour and miles respectively and that will illuminate when lights are activated.
- Must have an operational horn.
- Must have two operational headlamps. The use of light bars, spotlights, or decorative lights is not permitted while the UTV is being operated.
- Must have tail lamps on the front and rear of the vehicle.
- Stop lamps that are activated when the brakes are applied.
- Must have a rear-facing mirror.
- Must have a rollover protection structural to protect occupants from being crushed in the event of a rollover.
- Must have a muffler that keeps the engine noise below 86 decibels at 50 feet.
UTV Operator Requirements:
- UTV must be registered with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and proof of such registration shall be displayed and provided, upon request, to any peace officer requesting it.
- UTV operators must be 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Any operator must be able to provide proof of ownership to any peace officer.
- The operator must have insurance and be able to provide proof of insurance to any peace officer.
- UTV operators must comply with all traffic laws. Drivers shall not operate UTVs while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and no open containers of alcohol are allowed in the UTV while it is being operated.
UTV Prohibited Streets and Areas:
- City park trails, bike trails, sidewalks, wildlife areas, streams, waterways, ditches, frozen ice
- State Highway 415 (Oralabor Rd.) and U.S. Highway 69 (Ankeny Blvd.)
- UTVs may only be operated on streets that are 35 MPH or less.
- UTVs may cross streets with speed limits above 35 (except interstates) but it must be done at approximately 90 degrees
- All interstate systems (I-35)
- UTVs may not be parked on any primary road extension