- Must have 12 months of certified law enforcement experience with any city, county, or state law enforcement agency to be considered a lateral move
- All lateral entry police officers are subject to the same hiring process and must pass all steps of the hiring process as all other police officer applicants
- Out-of-state certified police officers must complete the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy
- Lateral move certified Iowa police officers may skip ILEA, however, they must complete the field training
- A certified police officer hired by the City as a new police officer is entitled to 50% of the balance due on their employment contract with their latest City / County / State employer not to exceed $2,000
- $67,443 certified with at least 2 years of experience.
- $74,358 certified with at least 4 years of experience.
New employees, who at the time of hire are currently certified law enforcement officers, shall receive a $5,000 signing bonus payable on the paycheck following completion of the following terms:
- $1,500 upon passing the Field Training period
- $1,500 at the completion of 2 years of service
- $2,000 at the completion of 3 years of service
Employees hired under this provision have the one-time option to use the first bonus to purchase up to 45 hours of paid time off (PTO) at their current hourly rate, after the successful completion of the field training period.