Salary & Benefits
Starting salary is $56,784 - $73,860, depending on qualifications.
Current certified paramedics with the appropriate experience as stated below are eligible for lateral transfers if they meet the following conditions. Effective July 1, 2022:
- Completion of 12 months (1 year) as a full-time Paramedic at another agency or a PT Paramedic for the Ankeny Fire Department shall be paid at Step 2 ($23,006).
- Completion of 24 months (2 years) as a full-time Paramedic at another agency or a PT Paramedic for the Ankeny Fire Department shall be paid at Step 3 ($24,156).
- Completion of 36 months (3 years) as a full-time Paramedic at another agency or a PT Paramedic for the Ankeny Fire Department shall be paid at Step 4 ($25,364).
Fire Union Employees: 24-Hour Personnel
- After 1 year - 120 hours
- After5 years - 168 hours
- After10 years - 216 hours
- After15 years - 288 hours
Each year on July 1, full-time shift employees shall receive five 24 hours shifts off to be taken at any time during the fiscal year. There will be no carryover of these paid personal time days.
Pro-rated based on the date the employee is hired:
- From July 1 to October 1, five 24-hour shifts - 120 hours
- After October 1 to before January 1, four 24-hour shifts - 96 hours
- After January 1 to before April 1, three 24-hour shifts - 72 hours
- After April 1 to before July 1, two 24-hour shifts- 48 hours
Earn sick leave after 30 days of consecutive service at a rate of 16.8 hours per month.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- The Friday following Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve Day
- Christmas Day
For a more detailed overview of all the Fire Union benefits, see the Fire Union Contract (PDF).
Deputy Chief Frank Prowant